“Hay que destacar bien la melodía” [You have to bring out the melody] – Emilio Pujol, Catalán guitarist.
Santiago de Cuba is a city that is steeped in everything musical and cultural. Some of the most well known Cuban artists were born in this southern city in Cuba, including the infamous and beloved Desi Arnaz. It is now Emilio Estefan, producer and husband of Gloria Estefan that shares the beats and harmonies of Santiago de Cuba with music lovers worldwide.
Santiago, with a population of over a million people sits on the top of a steep hill and bustles with the intensity of any urban city. It is a frantic city with an Afro-Caribbean culture that claims to have birthed the two most beloved genres of Cuban music, salsa and son. Undoubtedly there is music filling the streets at every time of day or night.
Be the First to Sail on a Cruise to Cuba!
Call us now to book or for more information. 855-586-2822
Or Click Here to fill out our form to be on the Top of the List!!
It is also steeped in history as it is where Fidel Castro launched his revolution. There are monuments and statues dotting the city that tell the tale of this historical moment in the life of Cuba. Being a center of Cuban culture, it is not only musicians that make this city so intriguing, but authors, and architects, politicians and scholars. This city is truly a port like no other in the Caribbean.
Sites to see:
- Castillo De San Pedro De La Roca del Morro- This magnificent fort that sits at the entrance of the Santiago harbor has been a Unesco World Heritage Site since 1997.
- Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asuncion- This stunning church is one of the most important churches in all of Cuba dating back to 1520. Through every challenge that Santiago has endured, Pirates, earthquakes and more there has been a Cathedral on this very spot.
- Casa De Diego Velazquez- “The House of Diego Velazquez” was the official residence of Cuba’s first governor. Dating back to 1522 it is the oldest house still standing in Cuba. As you walk the halls of this historical home you will see furniture and decor from every period covering 16th to 19th century.
- Revolution Plaza
- Parque de Baconao is a beautiful well preserved nature park with a Dinosaur Park!
- Ferry to the tiny island Cayo Granma with it’s unspoiled fishing village.
Cruising To Cuba is currently taking reservations for ALL Fathom, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Azamara, Oceania, Victory and Regent and Pearl Seas Sailings to Cuba. We are also booking our Group Cruises with special pricing aboard the Fathom Adonia on March 5, 2017 and April 30, 2017 . Please fill out a booking form right away to be included on one of these magnificent sailings! Cabin availability is going fast. Pricing may change until time of deposit.