“the eyes of the most beautiful country that man has ever seen” Christopher Columbus 1942
Those were the words uttered by Christopher Columbus when he landed in Gibara in the province of Holguin. The city was founded in 1545 and named after a Spanish Military Officer, Captain Garcia Holguin. It is known as the birthplace of Cuban music.
The city’s charm and culture comes from its parks, multiple museums and galleries. On the top of the hill sits Loma De la Cruz where a very large crucifix looms over the city. It can be reached by visitors climbing it’s 450 stairs wanting to see a view like no other.
The area of Holguin sits on the eastern side of Cuba and boasts excellent beaches with breathtaking blue waters. It is a snorkelers paradise with a coral garden that sits just off shore of one of its most beautiful beaches, Playa Esmeralda.
And for those beer aficionados the brewery Cerveceria Bucanero sits in the town brewing such Cuban classics as Buccaneers, Cristal and Mayabe.
What to See in Holguin Cuba:
- Playa Esmeralda- one of the most beautiful beaches in Cuba
- Bahia de Naranjo Nature Park
- Guardalavaca Beach- a beautiful gem of the island
- Cayo Saetia Island- also known as Paradise
- Parque Calixto Garcia- one of the best squares in town to people watch
- El Chorro de Maita Museum- Learn about the Native Cuban Indians
- Campina Taina= A replica of a Native Cuban Indian Village
- San Jose Church
Cruising To Cuba is currently taking reservations for ALL Fathom, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Azamara, Oceania, Victory and Regent and Pearl Seas Sailings to Cuba. We are also booking our Group Cruises with special pricing aboard the Fathom Adonia on March 5, 2017 and April 30, 2017 . Please fill out a booking form right away to be included on one of these magnificent sailings! Cabin availability is going fast. Pricing may change until time of deposit.